I’m constantly amazed by how clever children can be. Personally, the best lessons I’ve learned in life have been taught to me by my kids. Questions that lead to a never ending trail of “why” leave me in awe of the way their little minds are constantly thinking. Best of all, their insights and curiosities have a way of pulling me out of the mundane and into a beautiful space where everything is being experienced through fresh eyes.
Sometimes though, the lessons taught to me by my kids are really just hard truths about how difficult the mummy juggle struggle can be, particularly around running a business. So, in the spirit of sharing, here are the top twenty lessons that my little cubs have taught me about running a business while being a very busy mum:
1. If you are crazy enough to book in business calls or meetings without making childcare arrangements, you have no one to blame but yourself.
2. As long as you are enjoying quality time with your children, there is no harm in letting the digital babysitter take over from time to time.
3. It is much easier to let the kids interrupt you than it is to get into an argument on why you shouldn’t be interrupted.
4. Chocolate bribery works every time.
5. Chocolate will make you feel better every time.
6. Your kids don’t expect you to constantly entertain them. But they do expect that when they have something to say, you will stop and listen.
7. You will never be as productive as the childless entrepreneur. Get over it.
8. Don’t let pride take over. If someone offers a helping hand, take it.
9. Be assertive in letting those around you know what you need to get things done.
10. Be patient with your kids. They are a miracle.
11. At the end of the day, your children know that they are loved. Guilt has no place in motherhood.
12. Schedule everything; expect to never be able to stick to your schedule.
13. Your kids will be all grown before you know it. Don’t wish the time away.
14. No one will ever make you laugh harder than your children.
15. You are setting a great example. Be proud of yourself.
16. The timing will never feel right; just get on with it.
17. You will make mistakes in business and family. Apologise and move on.
18. If you can think it, you can create it. All you need is an idea and a commitment to hard work.
19. You will always be tired. So very, very, tired.
20. Be proud of yourself, you are doing great.
So there you have it – the top twenty lessons about business taught to me by my wonderful, cheeky, infuriatingly independent boys. Truth be told though, as challenging as it is, I wouldn’t have it any other way. My big question to you – what have your kids taught you about all things life and business? Share your thoughts below or send me an email if your lessons are a bit too #facepalm to share in public.
Be Brave, Live Fierce
For more, explore our website or connect with us on Facebook or Instagram.
Follow Uldouz on twitter @UldouzVanEenoo