16-year-old Kolkata girl sets herself on fire after being gang-raped twice

16-year-old Kolkata girl sets herself on fire after being gang-raped twice
16-year-old Kolkata girl sets herself on fire after being gang-raped twice

Family of gangraped victim meets Governor, seeks security Kolkata, Dec 1 (PTI) The family of the 16-year-old gangrape victim today alleged that they have been threatened to leave the state by the city police along with the body of their daughter and sought security for themselves.

The parents along with some Left leaders, met West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan and demanded death penalty for the accused.

“We want that those who have gangraped my daughter should be given death penalty. We have also requested the Governor to see that our family members are provided security as we fear for our lives,” the father of the victim said after meeting the Governor.

“Police officials last night threatened me and asked me to leave the state and return to Bihar with the body. The police officials and some local toughs also threatened that if I did not, they would stop me from driving my taxi,” the father, who is a taxi driver and hails from Bihar, said.

“I have told the Governor about the police officials who threatened me and the Governor has assured that the matter will be looked into,” he said.

Protests have rocked several parts of Kolkata since yesterday over the brutal rape and death of the girl with demands for justice to the girl.

There was a tussle between Left parties and Kolkata Police last night over the cremation of the body of the girl who died in a city hospital of injuries suffered during an attempt to set herself on fire at her home on December 23.

The girl’s father, who is close to CITU, said it was decided by the family and the trade union that the body would be kept in Peace Haven mortuary in the city and a condolence rally would be taken out today.

But when the body was being taken to the mortuary late last night, police forcefully took it for cremation, the girl’s father and CITU officials alleged.

“The police took away the body forcefully and tried to cremate it at the Nimatala Ghat crematorium, but could not do so as the death certificate was in possession of the girl’s father. After the news spread, we too rushed to the crematorium and protested forcing the police to retreat,” CPI(M) state secretariat member Rabin Deb told PTI.

“The police gave the excuse that the condolence rally with the body cannot be allowed as there is dearth of policemen due to new year celebrations,” he claimed.

Denying the allegations, Joint Commissioner of Police (HQ) Rajeev Mishra said, “It is a totally false allegation.
Whatever was done was done in consultation with Bidhahnagar police, under whose jurisdiction the girl’s home is. We did not forcefully take away the body.”

Deputy Commissioner of Bidhannagar Police (Detective Department) Arnab Ghosh said, “The incident happened under the jurisdiction of Kolkata police. So we can’t comment on it.” The body is currently in the custody of the family and CITU.

The girl’s family has also alleged negligence by R G Kar Medical College Hospital where she had been admitted.

The ruling Trinamool Congress has accused the Left Front of launching a ‘false propaganda’ against the state government.

“The CPI(M) is alienated from the people and they are desperately trying to launch a wrong propaganda against the government over this (gangrape) issue. But the people will not accept this,” TMC General Secretary Mukul Roy said.

He said the girl’s death was a sad incident and the administration did whatever was necessary to bring the culprits to book.

“The accused are in jail and a charge sheet has been filed against them,” Roy said.

West Bengal Left Front chairman Biman Bose wondered, “Under whose instructions, the police has been so overactive.

We want the guilty to be punished. We will organise protest- rallies and programmes throughout the state.”

You must be logged in to post a comment Login